Our Programs and SErvices
Community Action Planning Council has a long history of serving the residents of the north country with services that are designed to meet the needs of the community.
- HEAD START – Offers a holistic approach to pre-school education and school readiness for children aged 3 and 4. Includes home based and center based pre-school experiences with a focus on the physical, social, emotional and intellectual growth of each child as well as family involvement. Community Action sponsors centers at Community Action and Sacred Heart in Watertown, Dexter, Evans Mills (North Jeff), Carthage and Adams (South Jeff) areas.
- UNIVERSAL PRE-K – The Community Action Pre-K Programs utilize the Head Start curriculum, offering quality early education at the Watertown, Sackets Harbor and Indian River School Districts. Program plans provide for development of children’s independence and self-assurance, as well as school readiness.
- CHILD CARE RESOURCE & REFERRAL PROGRAM – Trained staff assist parents in locating quality registered child care in both Jefferson and Lewis Counties. Guidance is provided to parents on how to select quality child care and current lists are available for locations of care, cost per family, openings available in Jefferson and Lewis Counties.
- REGISTRATION OF CHILD CARE PROVIDERS – Qualified staff assist child care providers for NYS registered and/or licensed care to meet state requirements. We support providers in the Family Child Care home setting, in centers and at School Age Programs in both Jefferson and Lewis Counties.
- CHILD CARE FOOD PROGRAM FOR FAMILY DAY CARE PROVIDERS (CACFP) – Includes training, technical assistance, and meal reimbursement to family day care providers and centers who are interested in offering nutritious meals and snacks to children in their care. This Program covers Jefferson, Lewis and St. Lawrence Counties.
- CHILD DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATES PROGRAM (CDA) – This program offers training to enrolled participants through a program of classroom instruction and practicum experience preparing them as candidates for CDA credentvial and employment in the childcare field.
- FAIR HOUSING OFFICE – Community Action Planning Council is designated as the Fair Housing Office for Jefferson County. We are the information and referral agency for persons with questions or complaints about housing or housing practices and landlord/tenant issues.
- VOLUNTEER INCOME TAX SERVICES – Volunteer tax counselors trained in preparing taxes provide free assistance in filing Federal and State income tax forms. Services are available at selected sites throughout tax season and through the Community Action offices in Watertown and Carthage.
- FOOD PANTRY – Five day emergency food packages are distributed to those in need according to family size. Other food resources such as WIC, Food Stamps, and budgeting classes are referred to families and all are screened for other needs
- SUMMER FOOD SERVICE PROGRAM – This service provides lunch and breakfast or snack for an average daily participation of 600 children at various sites throughout Jefferson County during the summer months when school meals are not available. Meals are prepared in our kitchen and delivered to the sites.
- HOLIDAY PROGRAMS – Community Action coordinates various holiday services with other agencies in the community. These include the Holiday Angels program, Operation Warm supplies warm boots, hats, mittens, snow suits and scarves. Thanksgiving meals are supported by donations from the community.
- READY TO WORK PROGRAM – Community Action is able to assist motivated people to attend vocational and other training; and have the supports they need to obtain or maintain jobs with a living wage.
- WEATHERIZATION – Provides home weatherization services to households meeting financial eligibility. Services could include insulation, furnace repair or replacement, window and door replacement and other measures to assist homeowners and renters to remain safe in their homes, conserve energy and reduce the burden of energy costs.
- EmPower – This program provides cost effective electric reduction measures in homes such as bulb replacements and appliance replacements; as well as energy saving measures including air sealing, insulation, and heating system service and repairs to low-income customers. In addition, we provide the Home Performance Program services that allow families to replace old costly appliances with energy efficient models and reduce energy burdens for themselves and the community.