Summer Food Program for Kids!

Posted by Claudia Whitmire in CAPC News
When school is out, children lose access to free and reduced meal programs, putting a strain on the family grocery bill.  That’s where the Summer Food Service Program comes in!  Beginning July 6 through August 14, children have access to free, nutritious meals at 12 sites (operated by CAPC) in Jefferson County. Watertown City School District will be offering meals at additional sites in Watertown.  For those familiar with this program, we will be operating slightly different this year due to COVID-19. Kids will be picking up a prepared bag with lunch and breakfast to take home to eat! Free meals are available to all children 18 years old and under (up to age 21 if disabled).  Click on the link below for meal sites in your community.
 These meal sites in Jefferson County are served by the Community Action Planning Council. 

These meal sites are served by Watertown City School District.
United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), administers the Summer Food Service Program at the federal level, while the New York State Education Department (NYSED) administers the program at the state level.  Locally, the program is operated by the Community Action Planning Council. As a program sponsor, the Community Action Planning Council is coordinating meal preparation and delivery to 12 sites in five school districts: Watertown, Indian River, Carthage, General Brown and Belville/Henderson.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.) If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request a form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities, may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish).

For more information about the Summer Food Service Program, call 315.782.4900, extension 255.

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 Both comments and pings are currently closed.